Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In the Saddle

As I mentioned before, I became the Browncoat for the purpose of speaking my mind without fear of retaliation and to protect the names of services I work for, people I work with, and myself. This move was partially influenced by a white shirt who felt what I was writing under my own name was too... racey for their service. Obviously, I didn't want to lose my job, so I made changes to what had already been said and stopped writing as much as I had been.

The funny thing was, it wasn't good enough. The private service I work for decided to let Ol' Browncoat go yesterday on suspension under a false and absurd accusation. That was the service's way of telling me, "We're going to fire you. There's nothing you can do about it. You can't defend yourself either. We just need three more days to push the papers through."

I'm not going to go into details about what the accusation was, because it's really not important. Suffice it to say that it was in regards to my level of patient care. This tickles me a bit. The one that sent me off had been watching me and my involvment with a group called EMS 2.0.

The whole goal of this organization is to constantly improve pre-hospital care by being knowledgable of every skill we train in, and then using that information to help us provide the best patient care possible. It strikes me as odd that a person doing the best they can to improve their skills and provide the best patient care possible would be let go for those same exact reasons. Of course, there are other cirmcumstances that played their part in the mess, but that is for another day.

Long of the short, Browncoat wasn't hung up to dry completely. He used a couple of references, dropped a couple of names, and landed himself two part-time jobs at the local hospital and with the county EMS service in the same day of being suspended.

Funny how that works, ain't it? I've managed to put a thorn in a purple bellie's paw and landed myself a great gig all at the same time.

Got to go for now. I've got to be at work in an hour!

-Browncoat

No comments:

Post a Comment